Winter is upon us, and there’s bound to be a storm heading our way soon. Us NorthEastern residents are practically experts at dealing with the snow and always know there’s going to be at least one (likely a bunch) of snowstorms each winter season.
If you need some help making sure you and your house are prepared ahead of time for when the storms, snow, and ice arrive, we’ve got you covered!
Take a look at these useful tips that will ensure any winter storm won’t inconvenience you more than it needs to, and your home is ready for the task:
Winterize Your Home
One of the most important things you can do is winterize your house ahead of time. Consider doing these tasks to prepare your home for winter weather:
- Insulate – Check that your attic and crawl spaces are properly insulated to prevent cool air from getting in and warm air from escaping.
- Weatherstrip – Check doors and windows for unwanted drafts. Consider weatherstripping or caulking any gaps to prevent the cold from getting inside.
- Check and clean the exterior of your home – Clean your gutters, check your roof and siding for any damage, and put away your yard furniture.
- Inspect and clean the chimney – Before any severe snowfalls, have your chimney inspected to be sure it’s ready to handle all the cozy fires ahead and that you have a proper chimney flue to prevent cold air from entering your home when not in use.
- Prevent frozen pipes – If your pipes freeze, you’ll be left with costly problems. Let your faucets drip or run periodically and insulate the pipes before the temperatures drop to freezing.
Stock Up On Emergency Supplies
In the event of a winter storm, you may need to shelter in your home for an extended period of time. It’s also a possibility that you lose power, so gather some supplies that you can have ready when you need them, in case of an emergency. Some items you should have prepared include:
- Extra batteries
- A cell phone and charger
- Non-perishable food and water
- A first aid kit and necessary medical supplies
- Family and emergency contact information
- Warm clothing and blankets
- Pet and baby food or supplies if needed
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- A battery-powered radio
- Extra cash
- Tools and equipment for securing your home
Create An Emergency Plan
Speak with family or the other people you live with about a plan in case of an emergency. Devise an idea of what to do, where to go, and what is needed in a severe situation, such as a winter storm. Consider testing out these plans so everyone is fully prepared when the time arrives.
Listen and Watch Forecasts and Advisories
Pay attention to forecasts during the winter so you know ahead of time if a storm is expected to hit your area and how severe it might be. Listen frequently for updates and advisories on a storm or extreme weather situation, so you are ready for anything.
Have Your Snow Removal Tools Ready
You don’t want to be struggling to find a shovel once the snow is already there. Take some time to gather winter gear, shovels, snowblowers, extra gas, or anything else you need to clean up snow on your property, so you’re ready to go when the snow arrives.
Property Maintenance in Fairfield County
Let the professionals handle the hard work of maintaining your property during the winter season. Ambrosio Landscaping Solutions can exceed your expectations and ensure that your property is always looking and performing its best. Give us a call at (203) 762-5167 to learn more.
View More Posts:
Schedule a Quick Consultation
Schedule a quick consultation with Ambrosio Landscape Solutions. We would be happy to discuss your dreams for your new project.