Have you been enjoying some much-needed relaxing or fun in the sun this summer? Everyone is at risk of getting sunburnt this time of year, so take a few moments with us to refresh yourself on the best ways to protect your skin while out in the sun and how to treat a sunburn properly.
When your skin is exposed to the sun’s harmful rays for too long, it will cause a burn that turns red and can become painful and irritated. Though sunburns will heal, repeated burns and other sun damage can be harmful to your skin’s health and well-being, making it important to actively prevent them whenever out in the sun.
Some ways to protect your skin from sunburns include:
- Wear proper clothing that will protect you from the sun and keep your skin covered. This includes long-sleeve shirts, pants, broad-brimmed hats, and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use sunscreen and lots of it. Make sure your sunscreen is SPF 30 or higher and is labeled as “broad-spectrum.” Be sure to apply all over about 30 minutes prior to being outside, reapply at least every two hours while out in the sun, and apply even on overcast days when the sun’s rays can still penetrate the clouds.
- Consult with your doctor about the medications you take. Some antibiotics, antidepressants, and other drugs can increase skin sensitivity to the sun’s rays, making it more crucial to stay safe while outside.
- Find shade or stay inside as much as you can. The best way to protect your skin is to avoid the sun, so find areas with shade when outdoors and remain inside when you are able to.
Tips For Treating a Sunburn
If you’ve gotten a sunburn and are looking for some relief, here are some tips to try and help it heal:
- Apply cold compresses to your skin or enjoy a cool bath to let it soak and soothe.
- Utilize creams or gels that can help take the sting out. Look for creams or gels with ingredients such as aloe, menthol, or camphor. For extra relief, refrigerate the bottle before applying.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Don’t go in the sun until your sunburn has healed.
- Take over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve sunburn swelling and pain.
Contact Ambrosio Landscape Solutions to learn more about our property maintenance services!
If you want to ensure your property looks great all year long, our team is ready to help. The experts at Ambrosio Landscape Solutions will work with you to ensure your property looks and functions its best, so you and your family can enjoy outdoor living like never before. Contact us today or give us a call at (203) 762-5167.
View More Posts:
Schedule a Quick Consultation
Schedule a quick consultation with Ambrosio Landscape Solutions. We would be happy to discuss your dreams for your new project.