Winter is here, and severe weather is on its way, so it’s important to be aware of potential dangers inside and outside your home. The cold weather brings its own unique set of risks, so it’s best to stay vigilant to keep you and your home safe and warm.
From the Ambrosio Landscape Solutions team, here are some of the ways you can protect your family and your beautiful house this winter:
Outside Winter Dangers
As the temperatures drop and snow and ice buildup, be aware of these dangers outside of your house and on your property:
- Ice dams – Ice dams, or ridges of snow and ice, can be a serious problem during the winter months, as they can cause damage to your roof and home. An ice dam is formed when the snow melts from the warmer areas of your roof due to heat escaping from inside your home and then refreezes at the roof’s edge. To prevent this issue, it’s important to ensure proper insulation and ventilation to keep temperatures even throughout your roof.
- Slippery walkways and sidewalks – When temperatures drop below freezing, there is an increased risk of slips and falls due to icy walkways and sidewalks. Make sure to spread salt or sand liberally around any areas that could become icy. Not only will this prevent slips and falls, but it will also help protect your pets from any outside dangers.
- Outdoor furniture – Keep any outdoor furniture securely stored away during the winter months – high winds can easily blow away lighter items such as chairs or tables.
- Fall hazards – If you have a pool or pond in your yard, be sure to cover them up with a tarp so that no one accidentally steps on it and gets hurt.
Inside Winter Dangers
When winter weather arrives outside, it’s important to protect your home’s inside so you can stay safe and cozy all season long; here are some tips:
- Stay warm – Keep your heating bills lower and your house warm by ensuring your home is properly insulated, weatherstripping your windows and doors, utilizing area rugs, and switching the rotation of your ceiling fans.
- Improve air quality – Cold weather can cause a decrease in air quality as windows and doors are closed more often, leading to increased levels of indoor pollutants such as dust mites, pet dander, mold spores, etc. Improve your air quality by changing your air filters, vacuuming regularly, and utilizing a humidifier if needed.
- Watch your electricity usage – When plugging in heating blankets, holiday lights, and more, be sure not to overload outlets with too many electronics at once; this can cause electrical fires if not done properly.
- Prevent fires – Make sure smoke detectors are properly installed in your home and have new, functioning batteries. As well, be mindful of how you are using heaters – electric space heaters can easily start fires if left unattended for too long.
Contact Us Today For All Your Landscaping And Property Maintenance Needs in Fairfield County!
Let the team of experts at Ambrosio Landscape Solutions of Fairfield County, CT, help you with all your landscaping needs this winter and all year round. Our team will create a personalized plan to ensure your property always looks and functions at its best.
To learn more about our Connecticut landscaping and property maintenance services, contact us at 203-762-5161 or on our website.
View More Posts:
Schedule a Quick Consultation
Schedule a quick consultation with Ambrosio Landscape Solutions. We would be happy to discuss your dreams for your new project.